Location: Sterling Valley/Robinson Springs, adjacent to Sterling Forest, Page Forest and the Stancliff property, Stowe.
Date Protected: August 2003; easement donated by Stephen & Carol Adams
Acres: 95; consisting of a 10 acre house site and 85 acres of “protected property”.
Landowner: Private ownership; conservation easement held by Stowe Land Trust.
Conservation Purposes: The primary purposes of the easement are to conserve and protect the forest, wildlife habitat, natural communities, and native flora and fauna on the protected property; as well as to protect the property’s natural, undeveloped character and open space for present and future generations.
Project Background: The rich forest land which makes up the Adams property has been in the Adams family for generations. By the late 1800’s, Walter M. Adams who built the old Partridge Inn as well as the hotel on top of Mt. Mansfield, had acquired several hundred acres in and around Robinson’s Springs. He sold some of the land to Verner Reed and his son, Rogers Adams, who built what is today Edson Hill Manor. Other parcels were sold to Fritz and Muriel Wiessner, a portion of which today is Wiessner Woods. Rogers Adams, and his wife Emily, contributed to Stowe in several ways, but perhaps most notably by assisting the Town in building the fire station just south of the village center. Stephen dedicated the easement of this land to his parents, Rogers and Emily Adams, who he says would be pleased to know that something has been given back to the town that gave them so much.