Location: North side of Taber Hill Road, Stowe
Date Protected: April 2009
Current Landowner: Stowe Land Trust, conservation easement held by Vermont Land Trust
Conservation Purposes: The primary purposes of the easement are to conserve forestry values, wildlife habitats, biological diversity, natural communities, wetlands, soil productivity, and native flora and fauna and the ecological processes that sustain these natural resource values on the protected property, and non-motorized, non-commercial recreational opportunities, open space values and scenic resources.
Funding Partners: Anonymous donor
Property Description: Stowe Land Trust acquired this parcel from the Gerard J. Kirchner estate. Gerard owned and managed the property from 1959 until his death in 2008. The largest portion of the property is a mature sugarbush, which was in active maple syrup production until the early 1990's. The property rises from 1200 feet above sea level at Taber Hill Road to a ridgeline at 1580 feet with distant views to the northwest of the Green Mountains. A network of woods roads provides access to interior portions of the property. Remnants of steel and plastic pipeline and dumping stations used for collecting maple sap, in addition to neatly stacked galvanized buckets can be found in many locations on the lower elevations of the property near the sugar house. Most of the property is northern hardwoods dominated by sugar maple, with some hemlock along the streams on the easterly side of the property and young red spruce at the higher elevations of the property.
Public Access: Kirchner Woods is accessible to the public from a parking area located on Taber Hill Road. Please be mindful of our neighbors when visiting the property and only use the trails from the parking area to access the property.
Directions: From the intersection of Route 100 and Route 108 head north on Route 100 and turn right onto School Street. At the intersection with Stowe Hollow Road bear left onto Taber Hill Road. Continue on Taber Hill Road for approximately 2 miles - the parking area is marked with a sign on the left hand side of the road.