Lepine Forest

Lepine Sisters - Jeannette, Theresa and Gert. (c) Peter Miller

Location:  Sterling Valley Road,Stowe

Date Protected: December 2002; easement donated by Gert and Jeannette Lepine

Acres: 46.8

Landowner:  Privately owned; easement held by SLT

Conservation Purposes:  The primary purposes of the easement are to conserve and protect the forest, wildlife habitat, natural communities, and native flora and fauna on the property; to protect the property’s natural, undeveloped character and open space for present and future generations.

Project Background:  Gert and Jeannette Lepine have seen a lot of changes in Stowe over the years.  They recall with grins growing up and farming in Sterling Valley in the 1930’s.  Their decision to donate a conservation easement on their 47-acre property in Sterling Valley was based on a desire to preserve the natural values that were important to them as children. 

Property Description:  The Lepine property is forested, containing mostly northern hardwood species, and some mixed softwoods.  It abuts the Sterling Falls Gorge Natural Area and Sterling Brook, a favorite fishing spot for Jeannette and Gert.  A remnant apple orchard, pine and spruce plantation, and cabin foundation are just some of the hints of past use of the property.  A few undesignated trails that are enjoyed by area residents wind through the property and link to the Sterling Falls Gorge Natural Area. 

Public Access:  The property is open to the public for year round non-motorized, non-commercial recreation.

Directions:  The property is located on Sterling Valley Road.  From the intersection of Route 100 and 108 in Stowe Village, head north for 0.6 miles on Route 108 and turn right on Weeks Hill Road.  Travel 1.3 miles until Percy Hill Road.  Turn right on Percy Hill Road and travel 0.6 miles until West Hill Road.  Turn left on West Hill Road and travel 2.1 miles until Sterling Valley Road.  Turn left on Sterling Valley Road and travel 1.2 miles.  Note the Sterling Cemetery on your right.  The property is on the left side of the road across from the cemetery.