End of July & Early August Updates!
This summer has been very busy! I have been running a lot of programs with great groups such as MudCity Adventures, Stowe Parks & Recreation, Market Garden School, Helen Day Art Center, Apple Tree Learning Center – the list goes on! In addition to programs, we have been doing some trail maintenance at Wiessner Woods!
- To kick off Stowe Arts Week, we had a wonderful turn out at the Watercolor Hike at Kirchner Woods! The watercolor hike was a fun way to express creativity outdoors. Many of the participants at the event were from out of town and it was nice to introduce them to our beautiful landscape!
- During Stowe Arts Week, SLT also collaborated with Helen Day Art Center and did a two day Naturalist’s Art Program. The first day, we hiked up Sunset Rock, learned about wildlife tracks, did some sketching, and picked up some pine needles, twigs, pine cones, leaves, and more! We used these items to decorate canvas flags and make prints. On the second day, we visited the Stowe Recreation Path, did a plant scavenger hunt, made naturalist notebooks, and did watercolor landscape paintings.
- We had two out of town visitors who completed our Stowe Land Trust Explorer’s Adventure scavenger hunt! They visited us at the office with their finished maps and received a free yearlong Stowe Land Trust family membership and an exciting prize! If you are interested in participating, visit the Summer Naturalist Home Page and download the map today!
- This summer, I have been doing weekly programs with MudCity Adventures! They have visited us at all of the Stowe Land Trust owned properties (Wiessner Woods, Mill Trail, and DuMont Meadow). As the summer is winding down, we have our last programs with the Mini Mudsters and the Day Adventurers at Kirchner Woods. During our hike at Kirchner Woods, we hiked the entire property and stopped for a break at Summit Loop. Along the way, we found two American Toads (Anaxyrus americanus), saw some interesting fungi, and learned some bird songs!
- We rounded up programs with Stowe Parks & Recreation! This summer, they participated in Naturalist Programs at Wiessner Woods, Kirchner Woods, Mill Trail, and Sunset Rock! They are a great group!
Although summer is winding down, I will be running two more Open Houses later this month (August 24th) and one on September 21st at the Mill Trail.
- On Saturday, August 24th: Explore the cool water near the cabin during a hot summer day! Visitors will learn about the history of the Mill Trail Property and about the land’s use. Families can participate in a stream scavenger hunt down by the water. Come meet some freshwater invertebrates and other critters!
- On Saturday, September 21st: Pollinators and Wildflowers! Visitors will learn about the history of the Mill Trail Property and about the land's use. Families can participate in making wildflower seed bombs that can be released in the spring!
Remember that these events are free, open to the public, and family friendly! The programs run from 10AM to 2PM. In addition to these activities, there will also be a ton of books, coloring sheets, and puzzles provided. We hope to see you there!
July 6, 2020
News: COVID-19 Trail Updates
June 8, 2020
News: State Seeks Public Input to Inform Worcester Range Land Management Plan
June 4, 2020
News: Guide to Eating Local
May 20, 2020
News: Big Tree Hunt Winners Announced