SLT receives $100,000 from Vail CEO and wife
Vail CEO, Rob Katz, and his wife, Elana Amsterdam, have announced that they are making a $100,000 unsolicited donation to Stowe Land Trust. Vail Resorts is hoping to close on its $50 million purchase of Stowe Mountain Resort ski operations in May, so Katz and Amsterdam chose to make a personal gift to SLT as a way to support two issues that are important to them - engaging youth and caring for the environment - within the Stowe community.
Katz and Amsterdam's contribution will help SLT advance two important initiatives: youth engagement through our Summer Naturalist Program and continuing to permanently protect critical lands at risk for development. Free and open to everyone, the Naturalist Program offers volunteer opportunities and nature-based learning experiences that are critical for developing a long-term conservation ethic. Participants include students from local elementary, middle and high schools, area preschools, and Stowe Parks & Recreation programs. Approximately 30% of the gift will be used to help support the Naturalist Program for at least the next two years, and the remaining 70% will help advance time-sensitive priority land protection projects for the benefit of the community - permanently protecting key lands for recreation, wildlife habitat and scenic viewsheds.
"It's great that Rob and Elana are stepping up to make this kind of contribution to the community early on, and we're pleased to add them to our group of supporters," said Caitrin Maloney, SLT Executive Director. "We’re really appreciative of this generous gift and look forward to building on this new partnership with Vail Resorts' leadership."
December 22, 2017
Putting the Shutesville Hill Wildlife Corridor on the Map
December 14, 2017
Stowe Land Trust Launches Canadian Friends Organization
December 12, 2017
Logging Clears the Way for Trails at Cady Hill
November 16, 2017
October 30th Windstorm Update