At least once a year, SLT staff visit each of our protected properties and check in with the owners of those properties. This regular monitoring ensures that a property is cared over time. SLT is committed, to regular, documented monitoring in order to:
- Build rapport with property owners.
- Support good land stewardship.
- Detect and resolve potential or actual violations early.
- Create a record of conditions and changes on the land.
- Build community support & awareness for SLT's conservation work.
A team of volunteer Land Stewards also help monitor and maintain SLT's most visible and heavily used protected properties. They adopt a property with public access, make quarterly visits, interact with visitors, and report any problems or concerns.