Mission, Vision & Values
We are dedicated to the conservation of scenic, recreational, and working lands for the benefit of all. Together, we can ensure our landscape remains healthy, welcoming, and productive for future generations. Join us today!
Stowe Land Trust is dedicated to the conservation of scenic, recreational, and productive farm and forest lands for the benefit of the greater Stowe community.
We are committed to ensuring that everyone in the Stowe area community is included in connecting to the beauty and health of our natural environment.
- Community: We inspire and bring people together to explore, learn about, and care for the land that makes and supports our place. We work to ensure that everyone is able to access and enjoy the beauty and health of Stowe's natural environment. We strive to include all members of the Stowe area community our work.
- Sustainability: We are a leader in promoting the protection and wise use of the Stowe community's forest, farm, recreation, scenic and other natural resource for the benefit and enjoyment of future generations.
- Partnership: We cooperate and collaborate with other organizations and individuals to accomplish shared goals. We believe that we can accomplish more working together than alone. Our network is broad and diverse.
- Legacy: We do our conservation work for the next generation. Our vision is long-term, and we commit to care for conserved lands now and forever.
- Integrity: We are respectful, transparent, and trustworthy in all our interactions and transactions. We always put public benefit before private gain.
Who We Are
SLT is a local, member-supported, non-profit 501(c)(3) land conservation organization operating in Stowe, Vermont. An all-volunteer Board of Directors representing a broad cross-section of the community provides guidance for the organization. SLT's staff work out of an office in the Stowe Village at 6 Sunset Street. The office is open Tuesday - Friday from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm.
What We Do
Stowe Land Trust has conserved over 4,500 acres of land since 1987—protecting spectacular viewsheds, extensive trail networks, and the working farms and forests that are important to the Stowe area community. We have also collaborated with partners to conserve an additional 2,200 acres in the Shutesville Hill Wildlife Corridor and along the Worcester Range. In 2018, we adopted an ambitious Strategic Plan that outlines our approach to conservation, stewardship, and the overall sustainability of our organization. This important work has been sustained primarily by generous contributions from individuals. Thank you for your support!
The Difference We Make
Stowe’s rich network of conserved land is a prime reason why so many people choose to live, work, and play here. These places have been permanently protected because of the benefits they bring to our community—high quality recreational opportunities, scenic views, a working rural landscape, and a local economy supported by the area's natural resources. We work to protect these surroundings, and to foster a strong conservation ethic among residents and visitors alike.
Learn more about Stowe Land Trust and what conserved land means to our community! Thank you to Sarah Salvas for creating this video.