CFSLT Gifts of Stock
There are distinct advantages in donating stock or other securities:
- The donor receives an income tax deduction for the full market value of the stock that is donated;
- Donors can avoid paying capital gains taxes on the appreciation of the value of the stock;
- Donors can support CFSLT at a lower cost to them compared to making a cash gift; and
- CFSLT can sell the stock without paying capital gains taxes and put the money to use protecting land for future generations.
Transferring stock to Canadian Friends of Stowe Land Trust is simple. Your stockbroker can make a direct electronic transfer of your stock certificates to the Scotia Wealth account held by CFSLT. To make a gift of stock or mutual fund shares, please follow these procedures:
How to Donate Stock
Contact your advisor to initiate the transfer, and provide them with the following information:
- Financial Institution: Scotia Wealth
- Account Name: Canadian Friends of Stowe Land Trust
- Account Number: 4449364126
- Clearing Number to Transfer Shares: 079
- Please notify CFSLT of your gift as soon as the transfer instructions have been given by calling (802) 253-7221 or by email.
CFSLT encourages you to seek professional tax advice before making decisions about your giving plans for the year.