There are distinct advantages in donating stock or other securities:
- The donor receives an income tax deduction for the full market value of the stock that is donated;
- Donors can avoid paying capital gains taxes on the appreciation of the value of the stock;
- Donors can support SLT at a lower cost to them compared to making a cash gift; and
- SLT can sell the stock without paying capital gains taxes and put the money to use protecting land for future generations.
When donating appreciated securities and real estate held long term, the donor's income tax deduction is generally limited to 30% of adjusted gross income. SLT encourages you to seek professional tax advice before making decisions about your giving plans for the year.
Transferring stock to Stowe Land Trust is simple. Your stockbroker can make a direct electronic transfer of your stock certificates to the Vanguard account held by SLT. To make a gift of stock or mutual fund shares, please follow these procedures:
How to Donate Stock and Other Securities
1. Contact your stockbroker to initiate the transfer, and provide them with the following information:
- Financial Institution: Vanguard Brokerage Services
- Account Name: Friends of Stowe Conservation, Inc. d/b/a "Stowe Land Trust"
- Account Number: 87748903
- Depository Trust Company (DTC) number is: 0062
- Transfers from Vanguard brokerage accounts can be made on the phone by calling Vanguard Brokerage Services at (800) 284-7245. Vanguard to Vanguard transfers may also be completed using this form.
- Thinly traded stock: If you are interested in donating stock that may be difficult to liquidate or considered volatile, we reserve the right to decline a gift of securities.
2. Please notify Stowe Land Trust of your gift as soon as the transfer instructions have been given by calling (802) 253-7221 or by email.