Join Stowe Land Trust as our 2022 Summer Naturalist. This is a 6-month, full-time AmeriCorps Member position through the Vermont Housing and Conservation Board.
The Summer Naturalist is responsible for developing and delivering Stowe Land Trust's Summer Naturalist Program, which provides learning opportunities that inspire local citizens to engage with their natural world and foster a love and appreciation for the land. Our Summer Naturalist brings expert knowledge of the natural world and outdoor spaces in Stowe, and our programs provide time for kids to explore outside with us and with their families, as well as guided opportunities for people to help care for the land. One of our greatest strengths is providing authentic experiences outdoors. These opportunities are critical for supporting our community’s wellbeing and developing a sense of place and land stewardship ethic.
- Develop and deliver education programs and service-learning opportunities to the public, school groups, day camps, and corporate groups as part of SLT’s Naturalist Program. Adapt to online platforms and/or self-guided formats as COVID-19 guidelines dictate.
- Assist with SLT’s stewardship program including recruiting, coordinating, and managing volunteers and completing annual stewardship tasks on fee-owned properties.
- Maintain accurate and timely program, stewardship, and volunteer records.
- Create content for SLT’s print, web, and social media outreach efforts.
- Represent SLT at various public outreach events. Adapt protocols as COVID-19 guidelines dictate.
- Fully participate in VHCB AmeriCorps Trainings, Service Days, Events, and Program Initiatives.
This position involves both field and office service. Some weekend and evening service is required, particularly during summer months. UPDATE: thanks to a grant extension, we are now able to offer more flexibility in start and end dates of service. The ideal candidate will be able to start by mid-May. All service hours must be complete by October 14th, 2022.
This position is part of the Vermont Housing & Conservation Board AmeriCorps (VHCB AmeriCorps). VHCB AmeriCorps is a national service program that places members with non-profit housing or land and energy conservation organizations around the state.
This is a Half Time Position: Requires 915 hours for an average of 40 hours per week for 26 weeks.Member will receive a living allowance of $10,800 (pre-tax), and an education award of $3,172.50 (pre-tax) upon successful completion of service. Other benefits include health insurance, federal school loan forbearance, and various training and networking opportunities. This position does have recurring access to vulnerable populations (youth, persons over 60, individuals with disabilities).
Applications will be accepted through early February through the Americorps portal. Apply through My AmeriCorps at this link. Please contact Community Engagement Manager Barry Matthews, with any questions. A full position description is available here.